Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Escape


The exceptional delightfulness of this place is dangerous. Well... the kind of dilemma one would like to have I suppose. I am doing my best to balance the desire to stay here with the mission to see at least several other places during my trip. There is something great about adjusting to life here, but I would be sad to see too few of this area.

It is quite easy to sink into this place and lose all desire to leave.

My Frisbee tossing skills have improved markedly. Diving catches are less risky in the shallow warm bay. I know all the best spots in town for coconut shakes and fruit salads. Believe it or not, I just last night had my first Tom Yum Goong soup - something I never fail to order in the Thai restaurants back home. The first of many I suspect.

Befitting a true backpacker cliche, I have taken up poi. Anna, a wonderful young woman from Barcelona, was generous enough to give me a couple of lessons and help me make my first set. I used some found objects and rope I found in the rocks near my first ever lesson. After a lot of crotch and head bonking, I am finally getting the feel of them. Anna says I am a natural.

I have decided to leave tomorrow morning and head to Hat Ton Sai (Ton Sai Beach), a hippy backpacker and rock climber darling on the west coast near Krabi. A nice Brazilian girl named Luciana just came from there yesterday and said I will love it. She seems to be doing the same trip as me, only in reverse, so she was able to pump me up about going to Don Det in Laos where she spent 15 days.

So today goes the (very) sad exercise of collecting email addresses from my beach friends and packing my things. It will be a whole day tomorrow to travel to Krabi - and then get a boat the next morning to Ton Sai - the only way to reach the beach.

Just some of the things I will miss about Thong Nai Pan Noi:




  • Again and Again restaurant and the Bamboo Hut, both great mom and pop restaurants. Really super nice people (Kahn and Mr. A) and rediculously good cooks.

  • Our guesthouse dogs, Party and Bucket - super cute and sweet, although essentially wild strays prone to scuffles with the dogs next door.

  • Late night runs to Handsome Sandwiches for a great bacon burger (cooked by Mr. and Mrs. Handsome of course - out of what essentially is a card table and a shade structure with a hot plate).

  • Sam and "A", the Thai bartenders at the guest house. Sam is really one of the best bar/lounge DJ's I have heard. An amazing music collection and a different music genre every night.
The coming weekend will bring a new adventure, a new set of friends, and, if I am lucky, a full moon party in Ton Sai (The one on Kho Pha Ngan just sounds too big and crowded).

Pop Gung Mai Khop! (See you later)

1 comment:

kata_leen said...

ha ha, you took up POI! did we ever show you the ones we made on the beach in majagual? ah, the things you do when you have nothing but time on your hands