Saturday, January 5, 2008

Organize


Since I was so busy before I left town, I never really set aside a lot of time to figure out where I wanted to go while I was here in Asia. I figured I would have plenty of time for that once I arrived. Well now that I'm here, I'm burning valuable days on Khao San Road, while not a bad spot, is far from paradise. So today I plan. Here is a rough draft of my plan which is likely to change frequently.



  • Bus to Ko Samui and Ko Pha Ngan islands. Known for the full moon parties, I will likely miss that. But it sounds crowded and sloppy anyway.

  • Possibly head over to Krabi and Ko Phi Phi. Supposed to be paradise on Earth. Phi Phi got flattened (completely 100%) in the tsunami but is supposed to be back in business.

  • Bus or plane to Chiang Mai

  • Bus to Pai

  • Bus to Chang Rai, Chiang Khong to head toward Laos

  • Boat down Mai Kong river to Luang Prabang, Laos. Kim said this was a good place.

  • Work my way down to Don Det which Kim said was a must must do.

  • Possibly come back through Cambodia and hit Ankor Wat

  • Work my way back to Ko Chang, the other paradise on Earth island in Thailand

  • Return to Bangkok and SF
This seems like a lot to fit in for a relaxing trip. So stay tuned for edits.

Today I got my cell phone unlocked and got a Thai phone number... woo hoo! Very handy for connecting with folks (who have phones). I'm checking to see if I can get free text messages. If so, I'll post my number for friends back home to text me.

I also took a boat ride down the Mai Nam Chao Phraya river to check out Chinatown, BKK. Amazing array of street food there and everywhere I have been. So much, so varied, and so delicious. The Thais really love to eat well.

I had to change my hotel room tonight because the hot water quit on me. Too bad my new room is still directly across from a live music stage. Thank goodness I'm used to sleeping across the street from the Beauty Bar in SF.

No comments: