Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Detour

On my way to Ton Sai, I took a day or so detour with my lovely German friends Lauren and Sarah to Ko Samui. You must stop on that island anyway on the way to the west coast. I was enjoying their company, and Lauren had some locals she knew of living on Mae Nam beach. So I said what the heck.

We found some cheap bungalows on the beach - a step up from the Kazinski, but still pretty rustic. I actually skipped Ko Samui because I thought this type of place was non existent here. I have learned that Lonely Planet doesn't not come close to having all type of places listed.. Just a general flavor.

Nion and Jeed are a super cool couple that have a business making coconut jewelry. Lauren's parents visit every year and buy a load of it to sell in Germany. We sat with them in their store front / living room / bar late into the evening sipping whiskey with ice and water (went down so easy). Jeed, a lovely Thai with tattoos and beautiful hippy clothing brought us some green mango and Naem for snacks. Naem are these little pouches of sausage meat, each with a green chili - of varying strengths. Pop those with some peanuts and a sip of whiskey. Whoo! The extra snacks gave us some extra drinking time that allowed us to hear stories from Nion, a chilled out dude from Bali a little older than me who gave us some stories and tips on the local ways. Great way to spend an evening.

Unfortunately, my camera has been broken for about four days, so I have no pictures at all from Ko Samui or of my latest set of new friends. I'll have to beg for some from their cameras.

Sad goodbyes while Lauren and Sarah prepared to attend the full moon party on Ko Pha Ngan - a backtrack for them.... while I headed to the east coast. All by my lonesome once again.

Made it to Krabi last night and stayed at P. Guesthouse - by far my nicest accommodations so far and still super cheap.

Krabi town is cute! A cool little coastal town with lots of little bars and some charming buildings and landscaping. Most people that are here are on their way somewhere else... but not a bad place I must say. Ko Samui, for all it's glitzy reputation, I found cheesy and not particularly charming.

Today I bought a new camera since this is the only town so far that has any at all for sale. It's my one chance for a few days. Since it needs to charge, I'll have no pictures of Krabi town unless maybe on the way back.

Now I get on a boat for Railay and then on to Ton Sai.

1 comment:

AutumnF said...

Miles
It's Autumn-one of the girls in your Burning Man Camp (Esther's Friend)
I was ON KO Samui the same time you were and went to the Half Moon Party that Thursday on Ko Pha Ngan!!! Which was like a little Burning Man.
Esther told me you were there and I should have checked your blog earlier!!!
Enjoy your travels!!! Watch out for the Lady Boys