Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Home

Rejoining life at home has been a slow process the past couple of days.

I have become accustomed to a life where the day's to do list might be to mail a letter or take a pleasant walk. It is very noticeable to me how much slower I move now than I did when I left. I can still imagine the week right before I took off for Thailand, moving a mile a minute to get all my affairs in order. It's different now.

Many of my friends who have seen me recently have remarked how much more relaxed I seem. I think that has been a big benefit of the past few months. Now, though, I wonder how to keep it going. Life at home will require more from me in terms of showing up to work promptly, keeping chores done, and keeping scheduled commitments to folks. My calendar has become quite dusty lately (if that's possible for a Google calendar).

The first few days, I attacked a foot high pile of unopened mail. Not too many threatening letters thank goodness. I also bought and unpacked a few things you need when you have a home.. shower soap, a clock for my nightstand.... my electric rotary toothbrush! woo woo!

Funny thing though. Mostly, I have just left everything packed in boxes. The clothes don't really feel like mine anymore for some reason. Pants don't fit so well. I've lost some weight. Every day I find myself putting on the same clothes I have had in my backpack for all these months. They feel like mine.. and all I really need. For some reason though, it felt urgent for me to get the backpack itself stored and out of my sight. Although it's been a good companion, I really began to resent packing and unpacking it all the time. Time to put it away.

I have some theories on why I lost weight. Probably a few reasons. First, no kitchen of my own. Since I didn't have places to put much food, I could only really eat when it was time to go find a meal. So I found myself hungry a fair amount, but got used to it. Second, budget. I have been in such a mode of saving that rarely, if ever, did I have a large sit down meal with multiple courses, baskets of bread, desserts, etc. Third, no gym. Muscle is heavy, and I have lost a fair amount of that. It's funny how what used to seem like a bit of a chore (going to workout) now seems like a privilege, one I have very much looked forward to returning to. I miss it. Fourth, walking. It seems like at least half the time on my trip, my ankles were sore due to the amount of walking I was doing. Whether it's traveling to and from cities, running errands, or just being a tourist and seeing sights, I was always walking. Rarely was there a day when I sat on my bum all day long. Well maybe a few times.

Now, unfortunately, it's time to think about working again. I still consider myself on vacation from work until after I return from Burning Man. But that will be the biggest adjustment for sure.

My plan is to not get a full time job, but gigs instead - three to six month projects. My goal, and it is a lofty one, is to work six months and have two off in between projects. Whether for traveling or just to have time off at home, it seems possible if I budget for it. It may not work out that way, but that is the goal I am setting for myself. I have decided that time for working on personal projects, visiting friends, traveling, or just plain relaxing is an important part of having a full life, and not enough people demand that time.

Wish me luck. I hope I can stay on track.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Miles,
I am trying to get in touch with you. Please respond.

Todd McCleary
cell 602-316-5728
trwdolphins@yahoo.com
tmccleary@ducommun.com