Saturday, May 3, 2008

Pavement


Boy are my feet tired!

The past few days, my feet have been hard at work trying to figure out how and where I should live while I am here in Buenos Aires. I started out in the dumpy but ok Hotel Los Robles in San Telmo. After a couple of days and nights there, I decided it wasn´t really my barrio. I think it´s a cute little neighborhood, but it doesn´t have the feel or the social aspects I´m looking for. Also, there is something about being in a little hotel like this that feels a little bit confining. The staff must let me both in and out of the building. One day I left without my ibuprofen. My ankle has been sore so I need it especially with all the walking every day. I felt guilty about going back and asking the eighty or so year old guy to get up and let me in and out again. So I bought some more at the store. This type of thing has happened a few times. I like to come and go as I please. I don´t like waking up the guy at 3am to let me in after I return from a club.

But more important than that, you don´t meet anyone in a hotel. In backpacker hostels and beach bungalows, you tend to meet many of the folks that come through. And now I am really in need of some quick friends. So this place just wasn´t working.

So, on a tip from my good friends Shannon and Kathleen who were here a few years ago, I decided to check out the HI Recoleta Hostel in barrio Recoleta. I figured if I stay there a couple of nights, I can meet some folks and then take it from there. Right? Well not really.

I got a room there for only $5 less per night than my private room. This place is equally run down but now I share a bedroom with three other guys. One older guy from Denmark that goes to bed around 8 pm. And two Argentinian business men using the place as a cheap hotel. They are all nice folks, but not exactly partners in crime.

The bathroom is shared by eight of us, and after dealing with a crazy wet floor (no shower curtain) one morning and realizing that Recoleta isn´t really my speed either, I decided to head to Palermo to see what I can find at any level from hostel to apartment.

As it turns out, there isn´t really much in the way of hostels or hotels in Palermo either. The web listing I found turned out to be largely out of date, and many of the listings I found were either no longer there or they had been upgraded to more expensive options.

So what I settled on was to rent an apartment. This is actually quite normal here for short term visitors. The rates are cheaper the longer you stay. But I figured that, by getting a place for a couple of weeks, I would pay only a little more than the original cheap hotel, come and go as I please, have a kitchen and other amenities, and have a much much nicer place. So I contacted a realtor and I expect to have a place locked up in Barrio Palermo Soho by tomorrow.

Now I´m excited. But boy are my feet tired.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I believe you made the right decision. Staying in hostels is pretty fun but there comes a time when you just need to be alone and come and go as you please. Besides, it is true that getting some Buenos Aires Real Estate is what every short term visitor does because the advantages are many in comparison to a hotel or hostel: they give you services like cell phone rental, you have the kitchen to prepare you own meals and you have more privacy. I would shoose it!
Lindsay