Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Unstuck

Some of the friends I have travelled with have used the term "stuck" to describe that situation when you are enjoying your current town so much that it becomes quite difficult to leave. Thong Nai Pan in Thailand was one of those spots for me early in my journey. Lago de Atitlan got me stuck here for awhile as well. At this point, I truly feel like a resident after about six weeks here. Both San Pedro and San Marcos are both small towns where, after a few weeks, it is difficult to walk anywhere in town without bumping into a friend and chatting or joining up to eat or hang out. It is a whole new environment for me.

My original intention was to spend one month here relaxing and visiting with old friends, and then spend two months in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Early in my trip I began to feel that two months might be too much time in BA. However, I was never able to formulate a desirable plan to fill in the blank time. After overstaying my original plan by a few weeks already, I began to feel a bit hazy and confused about my short term future.

Rather than travel somewhere I wasn´t motivated to go, I allowed myself to stay here at the lake until a desirable alternative presented itself. I honestly was a bit nervous to travel to BA on my own, still not having great Spanish skills. I also found it hard to leave all of the great new friends I have made here. Starting over in a strange new place, especially a big city where I know no one seemed daunting. At the same time, that is the point of my trip. I welcomed this sense of unknown when I went to Thailand, so I was conflicted about this rationale. Eventually I decided I was just being a bit lazy and still wanted to go to BA, but alas, I had procrastinated purchasing the airline tickets, and here at the last minute, how could I possibly still fly so far away on short notice and still remain within my budget?

My good friend Shannon unknowingly provided the solution.

She wanted to fly with Michael, her husband, to meet me somewhere close by, Mexico perhaps and asked me where I would be. Having no idea, I left it to her to think of something. I toyed with the idea of exploring Mexico before her arrival, but wasn´t having much luck building enthusiasm from friends around here to help me choose a destination. I decided maybe I didn´t want to explore Mexico. Just then, Shannon sent me a flight confirmation for Puerta Vallarta. Done deal. That´s where I will be at the end of May. Now what could I do between now and then?

As much as I love the lake, I am not really feeling like staying here another month. I am beginning to feel a bit stagnant and need something to look forward to. But what can I do that will keep me near Mexico but allow me to see someplace I really want to see?

After some toiling on the Internet for a couple of days I thought of a new plan, and after a few hours in the Buddha Bar using a borrowed laptop and their free wi-fi, I had the solution.

My original plan had been to fly from Guatemala to Argentina, then on to Germany, and finally back to San Francisco... a series of expensive one way tickets. As we all know, round trip tickets tend to be cheaper, mile for mile, than one way tickets. Sometimes, I have found, one way tickets are more expensive than round trip to the same destination. Crazy.

My requirement to be back in Mexico before June has given me a new opportunity. Now I can fly round trip from Mexico City to Buenos Aires, then return to San Francisco and fly round trip to Germany. This gives me an extra destination in my travels (Mexico) and comes in under my original airfare budget for the remainder of my trip, albeit only slightly.

Presto! Now I am excited once again. Unstuck, excited for a new adventure, one month in a great city, I get to see Shannon and Michael on a tropical beach, and still head on to Europe for the last leg of my travels.

I rule.

1 comment: